Wednesday, August 24, 2011

CSM RECAP

Pics and vids to follow soon, but here's the rundown in my own words.

CSM Recap:

I'm going to keep this short as my wife is putting together a video and its just easier to watch the fucking thing instead of me typing all afternoon.

Event #1 Tractor pull (CAT front end loader)
I lucked out on the raffle and got to go last. It was the same tractor we pulled last year but on a different surface (the venue was moved to a different part of the parking lot) thats right bitches, CSM is held in a parking lot!

In my mind it was an easy pull, I drilled it last year and was gonna drill it again in 2011. When my turn came up nobody had finished. I stuck to the plan, kept my head to the ground and moved my limbs fast. I came to a complete stop about 6-8' from the finish line but was able to HIP THRUST it back into motion and finished. Not sure on my time but it was over 1 min. Dizzy, incoherent, wobbly legged and dizzy are all good ways to decribe how I felt. Adrenaline carried me through the interview with Hugo but walking back to the ten was a long scary challenge.
1st PLACE !!! YEAH!

Event #2 Truck squat
Hugo was estimating it around 800lbs. We'll never know for sure, but i was really goddamn heavy. And, he made it very clear to us on sat morning that it was going to be a full squat, below parallel, no fucking around. This event buried me in 2008 and I was really looking forward to it this year. Def a bit nervous, but excited to squat.

When my turn came up (I was last to go again, that's so awesome to say) Only 5 guys had gotten reps and half the field got zero. My plan from the start was to get 1 rep and hang it up. Getting to go last helped my decision, as the leader had 7, 2nd place 6 and 2 guys tied with 4 reps in 3rd, and 1 guy with a single.
The squat felt like 405 at the top, and heavy as fuck in the hole. It felt good all the way through, I stayed tight in the bottom, soft touch, and up it went. It was pretty big grinder, my nose and eyes blew out pretty hard but man I was satisfied. Watching the video afterwards, perhaps a 2nd rep was possible, but not a smart move for the overall.
Very satisfied with this event.

Event #3 Tire flip
Tire flip has been a thorn in my side this summer. I used to be pretty damn good at it, and I feel its an event that has regressed this year. 955 for 100', I didn't finish, and my placing was 6th. Not too happy at all but it was over and time to move on.

Event #4 Power stairs (425, 475, 525)
I've never gotten the 11th stair with the 525 bell, and that was the main goal this day. They were also taking splits on 5 and 10 stairs so I wanted to blister then first ten just in case. First ten went smooth and then I took a little rest before #11, got it up real well, felt great, went for #13 but it was a bit much. PR on the stairs and 3rd place finish behind JF and Savoie. Pretty satisfied with this event also.

Event #5 pierres de atlas

Bandana Mike broke the 4th podium so the took out stone #5 and it was only a 4 stone run. I've nailed all 4 in competition 3 times this summer but on this day that 4th had my number. I finished in 4th place behind Mike, JF and Savoie. good points but pissed that I missed #4.

Finished Day 1 with the 4th spot locked down. 11 points over Jacki in 5th, and only 2 points behind Scott in 3rd.

Day #2 Pouring rain caused for some adjustments to the schedule, we didn't start till 3pm and they took out the medley. NBD I'm good at DL hold and farmers.

Event #1 DL hold.
This event isn't fun. I went till I suffocated myself and fell forward. Steve Bourgeois was coaching me from the sidelines and I had a decent time on 1:39, enough for 4th place. I've never had a hold crush my lungs like this one. I really did just suffocate, as it slowly pulled me down to the front, breathing got extremely difficult until everything went blurry and dark. Thanks to Steve for yelling in my ear and keeping me going. all I kept thinking about when it got tough was how bad I want on that podium.
This event moved into a tie for 3rd place. So the pain and suffering was worth it.

Event #2 Log Press for max
Log is another event that has regressed for me since last season. I hit 350 on Hugo's logs in competition consistently last summer and have not made it past 320 this season.

I went out at 320 and not sure how I placed, the score sheet Grant posted has to be a mistake as Rayner and I should've tied. We both went out on 320 on our second attempts. Perhaps not, doesnt matter now.

This slipped me 3 points back of 3rd and had Jacki breathing down my neck only 3 points back in 5th.

Event #3 Farmers walk.

330 for 200', Scott and I were head to head, I needed to beat him and have someone in between us. We both went out like a couple of retards and tried to out sprint one another. My wife said we had the sloppiest farmers of the entire field. I dropped twice before the turn. I was super gassed and just couldn't get the pick at the end. 120ish feet for 8th place. Scott went a bit more and finished in 7th on this event and secured his podium spot.

Overall 4th place. Very happy, but never satisfied completely. Always a few things that can be done better.
Awesome weekend, felicitations to JF Caron, Canada's Strongest Man 2011. A shout out to all the great guys I competed with and hung with all weekend. Rainman, great job this weekend man, it was great to be out there with you bro. (even though I'm a selfish MF in the athletes tent)

I will get another shot at that filthy ginger wilderbeast hunter in 2 weeks at the North Americans in Gatineau. (sept long weekend, I don't know the details but it will be on during the weekend at the balloon festival) If you are close, and don't come watch, you and I will no longer be friends. Gat will be the closest I've competed to home in the last 2 years. I expect some peeps to come out and see me swing my shit around.

No comments:

Post a Comment